Pregnant. Started spotting, having low lying posterior placenta. What is the chances that it will be moved?

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and had scan at 28 weeks after some spotting and was told that I have a low lying posterior placenta , 13.4mm away from os. At my 20 week scan this wasn t picked up and I thought it was up high. We are going back for another scan in few weeks at 34 weeks to see if it has moved up. What is the chances that it will have moved? I have heard that if it is low at/after 28 weeks the chances of movement are smaller. I have a small bump for my stage of pregnancy but scan shows baby is of average size. Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 26 May 2012
Hello and welcome to HCM,
I am Dr Nilajkumar a consultant gynecologist and I will be helping you in your queries.

I understand your concern. The chances of the placenta moving after 28 weeks are low. The placenta appears to move as the lower part of the uterus grows more than the upper part and hence as the lower part grows away from the cervix, the placenta appears to move. As most of this process is over by 28 weeks hence the placenta does not appear to move after this.

However in 20% women it still moves. So there is a hope. The repeat scan will give a fairer idea. If the baby is alright and there is no bleeding a low lying placenta does not cause much of problem. So do not worry. It is not covering the cervix so it is not a major type of placenta praevia.

Wish you a safe delivery.
Thanks for using HCM.
Have a good day.
Dr Nilajkumar Bagde     
Consultant Obstetrics and Gynecology