Pregnant. Started cramping and bleeding, ultrasound, blood work fine, cervix closed. Again started bleeding. Is baby ok?

Hello! I am 11 weeks 5 days pregnant. 2 weeks ago i started cramping and bleeding bright red blood. Went to er and ultrasound , blood work and internal exam all fine, cervix closed. I was sent home on bedrest . 24 hours later i began bleeding again much heavier and even passed a clot. Rushed back to er once again all test were fine. 2 days later started bleeding red again for about 10 hours then it stopped. No more red blood but since then ive been having a dark brown discharge . Barely fills up a pantyliner with sligh t cramping. Do you think baby is ok?
Asked On : Wed, 20 Jun 2012
Mar 2014
Hello and welcome,

I completely understand the query.

Unfortunately you are most likely having either a threatened or a missed abortion. The condition of the baby cannot be described on history or even after examination. Only an ultrasound can do it.

As of now, if the bleeding is less, I suggest that you ask your doctor for progestrone supplements like duphaston that help to sustain the pregnancy. An ultrasound will have to be done after a week to look for fetal well being. If there is any fresh bleeding, then you will need an emergency ultrasound. Meanwhile take bed rest and start progesterone.

Unfortunately I cannot give you a lot of false hopes, but still many babies sustain after receiving progesterone and bed rest. So please try it and wait till the next scan.

Please be positive and the best will happen. All my good wishes are with you.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist