Pregnant. Breathlessness, rapid heartbeat. Why does this happen?

Hello I am currently 36 weeks pregnant with my first child. For about two weeks now I have been feeling a shortness of breath especially in my sleep to where my fiance has to wake me up cause I m literally gasping for air. Also I have had a rapid heartbeat throughout the day not constant but at least 5times an hour for about 5min each time. I would like to know if this is normal and what I can do to ease these symptoms. Let me make it clear I could be laying down or simply sitting, standing and these symptoms occur.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013