Popping in the ribs on stretching. Tenderness, pain over the area, prominent on lying or standing. Cause?

I stretched sideways and felt a strange popping sensation from my right side ribs. It didn t hurt, but since the area has been very tender, getting progressively more uncomfortable to the touch and when moving. (over the last 3 days). It hurts particularly when lying or turning in bed or standing up. It is very tender to the touch. No visible bruising and breathing is ok.
Asked On : Thu, 19 Apr 2012
Pulmonologist 's  Response
If it is so tender then the most common thing that should present like this is a fracture of the ribs.
As you also hear a popping sensation you should get an xray chest to rule out and if normal then see a chest physician