Planning pregnancy, started bleeding but the color is brown. Is it periods?

I had my period on the following days for the last 5 months: 12/11/2012, 13/12/2012, 13/01/2013, 11/02/2013. I am trying to fall pregnant. We had intercourse before my ovulation date and on ovulation, but I started bleeding on 12/03/2013. I am a bit confused as I thought I would definitely be pregnant. The blood changed during the day to a dark brown discharge . Today I still have the brown discharge. Had very light cramping on the first day and did a hpt , but it showed negative result. Is this just my period I m having? Did I maybe do the test too soon?
Asked On : Sun, 17 Mar 2013