Persistent swelling with shooting pains in the foot after breaking metatarsal. Had healed with a hard and soft cast. Is it normal to have discomfort after years of healing?

i broke my 5th metatarsal in 2 different places on my left foot over 5 years ago and my foot has never been the same. it still swells and i still feel shooting pains in my foot when it is swollen. i did not have any surgery done i just had a hard and soft cast put on it. Is this normal for me to still have discomfort after all these years? or should i get it looked at?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Jun 2012