Paranoid schizophrenic, lives alone, support him on an on-going basis. Do I qualify as a caregiver ?

Im a mother of an adult son who is paranoid scizophrenic. Although he lives alone, I provide transportation to all doctors appointment, clothing, provide meals, and help pay some of his bills. Although I work, I provide care for my son on an on-going basis. Do I qualify as a caregiver, and is there anyway I can qualify as caregiver because his SSI does not cover his expenses, and a portion of my income, less than $27,000 a year, is use to keep him well. Please help me.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Mar 2013
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

I understand your concern. I think you might be able to qualify as his caregiver. There might be documents that you need to produce with the Social Security office to get this benefit. Please consult your local Social Security Administration office to get more information regarding the same.

I hope this helps. Take care and have a lovely day !

Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your efforts in spending time and financial support for your son who is mentally ill. The eligibility criteria for becoming a paid caretaker vary from country to country and from state to state.

In most cases, one of the requirements would be that the patient should be living with the caretaker and I'm not sure whether this would be a feasible option in your situation. Anyway, I would suggest that you check with your local health services department regarding the eligibility criteria in your state.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist