Painful to lift arm with bent elbow, soreness

yes. when I try to lift my arm with my elbow bend, that is very very painful so I learned not to put y ar in that position. That pain is in the shoulder top and arm. What is odd is I can swim a mile and not feel pain but my arm is outstretched and is slightly sore afterwards. I thought the swiing helped. But the horrible pain when lifting arm in a bent position---impossible.
Asked On : Sun, 7 Oct 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

From your description, it seems that you are having inflammation of tendons and bursa over shoulder joint. Exact diagnosis can be made only after proper examination by an orthopaedician. So I suggest you to consult one.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your arms. Do not raise your arms over your head.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.