Pain on swallowing, large protrusion on neck, hypothyroidism. Taking amoxicillin. Cancer?

Last Wednesday night I was eating and felt pain on swallowing . I felt my neck and a large protuberance was there. I saw my doctor the next day. She prescribed Amoxicillin 500 twice a day for 7 days. The swelling has gone down considerably. The hard nodule is there but appears very diminished in size (maybe half or more). Should I have a concern for malignancy or stone? I am not a spring chicken (58 years old). No cancer history in the family. I am generally healthy with hypothyroidism on 125 mcg daily.
Asked On : Fri, 5 Oct 2012