Pain in the stomach, nausea. Suffer from GERD, hiatus hernia and chronic gastritis. Pain in the heart. Cancer chances?

At 7 am i got woken up by strong sharp pain in the fundus of my stomach. the pain has been insisting all day with mild nausea every now and then but it's not always the same strenght. After lunch it actually stopped for a while. I took antacids, Paracetamol as well as as my daily dose of PPI, but i'm not sure if it helps. I have GERD and a mild hiatal hernia, an i was also diagnosed with chronic gastritis a couple of years ago. My problems faded to the level where i could easly control them and i didn't have this kind of discomfort or pain for a long time now.

When the pain started it felt as a pain of the heart actually but when i got up i realised it must be my stomach again.

What could it be? Should I be worried? Is it true that the cancer of pancreas can cause this kind of pain, too?
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013

Thank you for the query.

As a patient with chronic stomach inflammation you are at higher risk of stomach cancer indeed. It is because chronic inflammation caused cancerous changes in the stomach mucosa. That is why you should have your endoscopy repeated from time to time.
Moreover, it is possible of Helicobacter Pylori infection, which could appeared recently. Sometimes PPIs from one group are more effective for some patients, other are more effective for others. So sometimes it is worth to try other medicine.
Pancreas inflammation usually gives upper middle abdominal pain (very strong one), radiating to the back, nausea and vomiting is always present. The abdomen gets really hard and painful.
Heart condition should be always checked if such symptoms appear.
I suggest you to visit your doctor, have blood work, liver tests, amylase, abdominal ultrasound, heart ECG and endoscopy performed.

Hope this will help.
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
Stomach pain after eating occurs in three conditions: cholecystitis, pancreatitis and peptic ulcer disease.
With the available described symptoms there could be high possibility of peptic ulcer disease in stomach.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, ultrasound imaging, and serum electrolytes, blood sugar, serum amylase and thyroid profile.
You should also go for urea breathe test for H. pylori bacteria.
Meanwhile, you should take proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics for relief of your symptoms.
Avoid oily and spicy food, tomatoes, citrus fruits, excessive tea & coffee, chocolates.
There appears to be least possibility of pancreatic cancer.
Take soft diet along with yogurt.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Dear mabee,
As per you have stated it might be the Chronic recurrent gastritis. Do have PPI like pantaprazo or esomeprazole with sodium bicarbonate with the antacid syrup. if it didnt' subside go for endoscopy to find out only gastritis or H. Pylori infection. and the abdominal ultrasound to rule out any GI and abdominal pathology of stomach, pancreas , liver or else .Do seek for the doctor