Pain in the right side of the body after exertion. What are the chances of hernia?

Hi doc, I am inquiring for my Mom. She is 85 yrs of age and has had a pain in her right lower side after lifting 2 gallon jugs of water. She went to her family doc, in his thinking it might be her gallbladder , which it was not. She beared 7 children and is a small framed woman. Could this possibly be a hernia? It has happened to her in the past but only when she lifts something to heavy for her, but then it has gone away.
Asked On : Sun, 23 Sep 2012