Pain in the ribs and abdomen due to persisting cough. Have throat irritation. Had smoking addiction. Should I be concerned?

I va had a cough for the past 4 days now and it s getting to the point where my ribs and tummy hurt from coughing so hard and so much. It also makes me heave sometimes because of the irritation in my throat . I have been drinking plenty of liquids and stopped smoking whilst the cough is present but I feel so ill and haven t been eating any food because of it and have been sleeping loads. Is this a cause for concern?
Asked On : Mon, 10 Dec 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Please use mucolytics with bronchodilator for few days. Lots of steam. If fever, a course of antibiotics. If symptoms persist, get xray chest done and consult an ENT/pulmonologist. Regards.