Pain in the back and chest due to pulled muscle during exercise. Itchy welts formed upon using heating pads. Cure?

Hi, I quit smoking in January and started working out to prevent weight gain. The past two weeks, I increased my workout regimen to include weight lifting. I was using an exercise video to follow along with so I increased the 2lb weights I was using to 5 lb weights. I was doing flys by lifting the weight with arms stretched out from the side and up. I pulled muscles in my back and chest and was in a lot of pain, or either I caused costcochodritis to come back, which I suffered with last year around the same time. Anyway, I took ibuprofen 3 times per day to relieve the muscle pain, and used a heating pad. I fell asleep in the recliner with the heating pad on and I believed it has burned my skin. My muscle problem has healed, but I have huge welts on my back and chest where the corners of the pad were, and they have been painful. I have been doctoring them with Neosporin, but they seem to have gotten bigger and are red. Today they don't hurt so much, barely even any at all, but they are now starting to itch some. Does the itching mean they are starting to heal?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013