Pain in groin, hips and down the legs. bilat inguinal hernia surgery done. Rheumatoid, liver failure or hepatitis?

My brother-in-law had bilat inguinal hernia surgery 10 yrs ago. For the last couple of years he will get severe groin pain radiating to bilat legs about every 3-4 months lasting appx. 1-2 weeks. I don't know if the surgery has anything to do with the pain.
It's not in his back at all, just the groin, hips and down the legs. There is no swelling in the area he has pain. He is also a heavy drinker off and on and has a rash that they're not sure where it's originating from. The whites of his eyes are slightly cloudy, but there is no jaundice of the skin or eyes. The rash is mostly on his trunk.
I guess my questions are.......Could this be a result of a complication from the surgery years ago, rheumatoid arthritis that's flaring up, liver failure or hepatitis, or something else? I know it could be a number of things, but I'm just trying to get an idea because he doesn't go to the doctor without a very strong shove. Oh, and there is no redness or fever in the area that is painful.
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013