Pain and tenderness in breasts

i am 17 years old, and ive been having constant pain and tenderness in both of my breasts, mainly near my underarm and on top near the nipple . is this normal? im very worried.
Asked On : Sun, 25 Mar 2012
hi and welcome to HCM.

Pain and/or tenderness are two of the most common breast symptoms experienced by women.
When suffering from mastalgia (breast pain), start by going for a full breast check up, which should include an examination by your doctor possibly followed by an ultrasound or mammogram to detect any hidden problems. If there is no lump felt on breast exam or mass seen on mammogram, then the pain can be treated non-surgically.
If there is a cyst seen on ultrasound in the area of pain or tenderness, the cyst fluid may be aspirated with a needle in the surgeon’s office.

Breast pain can be cyclic or noncyclic. Cyclic mastalgia is breast pain that has a clear relationship to the menstrual cycle, and may indicate a hormonal imbalance and you might be having this.

Cancer of breast is very less likely at your age and i strongly suggest you to go and consult a gynecologist first, who will do breast examination and then advice what to do.

Dr Santosh