Outside of right ankle painful and swollen. What would have happened ?

FOR A FEW WEEKS THE OUTSIDE OF MY RIGHT ANKLE HAS BEEN BOTHERING ME JUST EVEN TO WALK. NOW THE OTHER DAY IT HAS SWELLED UP LIKE A SOFTBALL AND IS EVEN MORE PAINFUL ANY IDEA WHAT I COULD HAVE DONE? I DONT RECALL ANY ONE THING THAT HURT IT JUST THAT AFTER A FEW WEEKS OF MILD PAIN IT IS NOW VISUALLY SWOLLEN AND VERY DIFFICULT TO WALK
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query

According to your description , pain and swelling over your ankle seems to be inflammatory in nature.

I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination of ankle and rule out any infective cause.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.