Open sore on foot, staph infection, non diabetic. Culture shows traces of ecoli. Precautions?

My son has had an open sore on his foot for a few weeks. We thought it was a blister but since it didn t heal we took him to a doctor this week and it was diagnosed to be a staff infection. He is not diabetic and after 4 days we just got a call sayinfg the culture came back with traces of Ecoli in it. My question is... What are my next steps? Is this something that will heal if he continues taking antibiotics or should I take him to a foot specialists? Should he continue playing sports (football) or take it easy till it heals? He says it really doesn t hurt but my biggest fear is it will get worse.
Asked On : Tue, 18 Sep 2012