On treatment for nutcracker esophagus, pains in chest, hard to swallow. Reasons ?

I am 44 years old and for the last two years I been treated for nutcracker esophagus . In the beginning the Doctors I saw thought I was having heart problems. I had to stay in hosiptal for five days while a number of test were run. At the end of it they found that I had a very strong heart but could not explain why I was having pains in my chest . During that time I was taking vicodine for back problems, so I did always feel the pain in my chest. When I stop taking vicodine the pain would start slowly and grow stronger with time. After some time I found a GI Doctor who after running a number of test, said I had nutcracker esophagus. My esophagial pain is very painful. At present it makes it hard to swallow and does not stop. I tried everything and have been treated by three GI Doctors. The only thing that is keeping the pain at bay is the pain medicine that I am taking (vicopfone.) It a appears that the only form of treatment left for me is surgery. I was wondering is there anything else I could try before I go down this road?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013