On nuvaring. Gaining weight with painful heavy periods. What's going on?

I am on Nuvaring . I have gained 18lbs since October. I think the weight gain is from not taking my Adderall . I took my Nuvaring out on Wednesday, started period Friday, and have noticed it is very heavy. I had to change tampons more frequently than normal and am wearing a pad now. I noticed Saturday morning the blood was a dark brown color on the tampon, with a thick mucous like consistency. It has then changed to a dark red, still thick/sticky slime . I am also experiencing very painful cramps . Probably the worst cramps I ve had. What could be going on?
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013