On inactive brown pills, previously on microgestin fe1/20. Pap smear normal, mild discharge. Normal?

Ive been on ortho-cept for about a year and i switched over to microgestin fe 1/20 about a month ago. Im on my first pack of microgestin fe 1/20 and now im on my inactive brown pills right now. About a week ago i went in for a pap smear and for about 3 days after i had some brown spotting. I assumed it was normal after a pap smear since i did my research. Then once i started the inactive pills on sunday my period was on and off meaning one day the period would be visible then the next day it would seem like my period is over but when i wiped it would be red or dark brown. This is my 5th day in the inactive pills and yesterday i thought my period ended because nothing seemed to leak (not on panties or when i wipe) but today im having brown spotting/discharge/period? How come its so on and off? Is it because i just started a new bcp? Is this normal?
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013