On Morphine drip. No fluid or food intake. Why is Morphine given?

Hi My grandmother is being placed on a Morphone drip this evening, she is 95 and has been refusing fluids and food for a week or so, apart from the odd spoonful and using swabs for water in her mouth. Is this to speed up the process of her passing? I think it is clear to see this is the end, however she would hang on to the bitter end in discomfort. I just wondered what the true nature of a morphine drip in a 95 year old woman with severe dementia really was. Many Thanks
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012