Occasional back pain. Treatment? How to start physical activity?

I am 32 years old, and I am an Accounts Manager at a private firm. I have had back problems for more than 3 years. I have been at this job for 6 years. I do not exercise, walk or engage in any physical activity. I have lower back pain on and off, sometimes it continues for days and then goes away. Sometimes its weeks, maybe couple of months, before the pain returns. It starts at the hip, sometimes left, sometimes right, and radiates along the back of the thigh. I need to know waht course of action to take for treatment, and how should I start with the physical activity, should I see some expert for my physical exercise.
Asked On : Sun, 18 Nov 2012