Numbness, tingling, weakness, stiffness in lower limbs. Lose balance frequently. Suspecting multiple sclerosis. Suggestions?

I have had numbness and tingling in my lower extremities off and on for years. This year it has worsened and I have weakness and stiffness in both legs, I lost my balance frequently, and my EMG showed positive Babinski and Hyper- Reflexes. The doctor who did the EMG stated he suspected a demyelinating disorder, but my neurologist is downplaying MS because I don t have vision problems and my MRI s of my back have only shown one small syrinx or possible lesion on the cervical spine . They ordered a brain MRI but they still are doubting I have MS. What else could it be?
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013