Numbness, swelling, throbbing, loss of motion at the screw insertion site of the ankle. Charcot ankle?

Hello, I fractured both sides of my ankle 15 years ago. A screw was inserted on the interior ankle. 3 months ago I was sitting at the table and placed my ankle behind me with my toes tucked under and it felt like my ankle sort of dislocated and than popped back into place. It was excruciating for a brief couple seconds. Since than I have experienced some numbness, swelling, throbbing, loss of motion, and on a daily basis if I relax on foot in them same manner the same micro dislocation . So I keep my foot as stable as I can to avoid this pain. I have read about charcots ankle. Could this be it? My orthopedic dr said it s possible bone fragments in the joint/ankle residual of surgery/trauma and wants to operate. I am afraid of the recovery since she has another patient with diabetes she said is still mad at her after 3 months. The dr said recovery is only 3 weeks and than when i feel better but that s all subjective.
Asked On : Sun, 8 Apr 2012