Non painful swelling above left leg ankle, minimal discoloration and hard to touch. Cause?

Three days ago, noticed non-painful swelling in lower left leg above ankle, along front of the lower shin and proceeding around to the outside margin. Swollen area is about 1 1/2 inches wide, 2 or so inches in length, and rises about 1/2 to 3/4 inches above normal surface. No pain. I m 69 years old, good health, and the thing feels like a contusion but don t recall any direct trauma to the area. Minimal discoloration. Area feels fairly hard to the touch -- not mooshy. Peter
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013