Nail bed started oozing blood on pulling away dried blood on cuticle. What could the problem be?

Yesterday I noticed what looked like dried blood at my cuticle on my healthy-looking big toenail. It peeled away to reveal that there was actually no cuticle there; it was just my nail and skin. it appeared a little bloody and then i noticed a blob of gunk. It was squishy, slimy, and transluecent and looked like the stuff that comes out of my unhealed navel piercing. I pulled it out with cuticle scissors and when I did my nail bed start oozing blood. there is no pain whatsoever but its still quite concerning. What could the problem be?
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013