My husband has stage IV lung cancer chemo didn't work. Today I noticed his stools were black and mushy. Concerned

My husband has Stage IV lung cancer chemo didnt work Today I noticed his stools are black and would like to know why He is no longer being seen by a physician. Physician says to contact Hospice which we aren t quite ready for as yet. He is not eating much but does drink water plus other liquids. He was complaining about his lower back hurting so I picked him up some Cranberry juice thinking maybe he was getting a kidney infection as he doesn t drink enough liquids. Today tho , I noticed his stools were black and mushy. What should I be looking for ? Why is this happening? What can I do, if anything? Please advise, thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 14 Mar 2011