My heart seems to miss a beat or beats almost out of my cheast some times

This 'problem' with my heart only seems to happen when I am relaxing?
My heart seems to 'miss a beat' or beats almost out of my cheast some times, but not when I am up and about. It comes and goes but is frightening when it happens. It mainly happens when I am trying to sleep. I have not had it looked at but the words ''Irregular Heart Beat'' or ''Palpitations'' spring to mind. I'm 37, smoke and drink, and have been under some stress recently, though the problem has been going on longer than my stress (I think). I am not sure seeing my GP is the right course of action, as she seems to have problems of her own and is not always on the same planet as me. Advise please.
Asked On : Wed, 16 Dec 2009