My 62 years old mother has a lump after she fell back on her head. Can I apply any rub - on medicine on the lump and how ?

My mom a 62 years old house wife, she tripped and fall back first and a lump soon developed on the back of her head . I am worry about her condition as she is old. I have read some of the related questions and replies but they are much younger than my mother. The lump is soft in the middle and hard around it and I am trying to apply rub-on medication on the lump and I am not sure should I apply it on the hard area or the soft area. Please advise.
Asked On : Fri, 10 Jun 2011