Mother speaking to herself, negative thoughts and sleeplessness. Started after dad died. Advice?

Hello doctor,

This is a concern regarding my mom, whose mental health has become poor due to sort of negative thoughts after a year ago death of my dad. She is 51 years of age. I can seen her speaking to herself, hitting her head with her hands as something disturbing her brain, and lack of sleep. When asked, she is not expressing it in detail as she feels they are very bad evil thoughts and does not want to disturb us. She is restless even when lying down or sometimes at sleep. Please suggest me on what to do to relieve her from this state and make her happy.
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013