Missed period, spotting, pain in the abdomen. Prolonged periods with cramps in the past. On birth control. Pregnancy negative

Hello I m a female and 25 years of age. I have been having bad abdominal cramps and previously had a heavy prolonged period. I have missed my period this month and have only had very light spotting. I have a terrible pain in my abdoman and lately on one side. I am worried something is wrong. I have had unprotected sex and have been off birth control for one month. Pregnancy test is negative
Asked On : Fri, 1 Jun 2012
Hi, if you have had unprotected sex plus no other contraception this cycle, delayed periods with one sided abdominal pain is a cause for concern even though your pregnancy test is negative. You should consult your gynaec and get serum beta hcg levels and ultrasound done to rule out possibility of a missed abortion or ectopic pregnancy.