Misjudged stairs. Had a soft tissue damage, itchy. X-ray showing stress fracture. What to do?

I mis-judged stairs and my toes went under my foot . I had an x-ray and doc said I had a stress fracture . A tubigrip was put on and I was told to walk on it. I went to my GP a week later and she looked at the notes and said it wasn t a fracture but soft tissue damage to 1st and 2nd metatarsal. It happened 2 weeks ago and it is nipping and stinging on the top of my foot now and itching like mad on my instep. So what s the story? Is it a fracture or soft tissue damage? Why am I getting 2 different stories?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013