Menopausal, have hot flashes. Was on premarin, weaned off. Should I try estradiol?

I still have my ovaries. I'm 61 yrs old, started menopause at age 40. Was on Premarin about 14yrs, and weaned myself off 5 yrs ago. The hot flashes got so severe, at least 10-20 per day. In late August, went to the MD. He does not like Premarin. Put me on the minivelle patches. Trying to find the right dose. Right now, am on 0.05mg, but still having several hot flashes a day, but they are not severe. The cost of the patches are quite high. Would oral estradiol be of same benefit? I prefer pills to patches anyway. Does it do as well as the premarin did? Does oral estradiol work as good as premarin? I don't like being on hormones long term, but something has to be done about the hot flashes, as they effect my quality of life.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Oct 2013