MRI shows subarticular disc protrusion causing mass effect on S1 nerve root. Have pain and discomfort. What to do?

This is the results from my MRI. Having a great deal of debilitating pain and discomfort. I struggling with either getting a lumbar injection or to have a discectomy ...I know you can t tell what to do, but any input would be appreciated. At L4-5, there is annular fissure . There is a diffuse disc bulge and mild facet hypertrophic changes. There is no significant canal or foraminal narrowing. At L5-S1, there is a large focal left paracentral/subarticular disc protrusion, measuring approximately 1.8 cm TV x 1.0 cm AP, causing mild deformity of the thecal sac and mass effect on the traversing left S1 nerve root. There is no significant foraminal narrowing. IMPRESSION: Large left paracentral/subarticular disc protrusion, which causes mass effect upon on the left S1traversing nerve root. Thank you!
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013