Lump on the neck at the site of artery, seems to be increasing in size and spreading. Could this be a cancer sign?

Hello, my name is Christina, I m 19 years old. I have a stoburn father. Over the last few months I have noticed that he has a rather small lump on his neck where an artery is. I thought maybe it was just a bug bite or swollen lymph nodes. But just 2 days ago, my mother said something about it and I noticed it was much bigger and looked like it was spreading, like an infection would. I m worried about my father because, he hates Hospitals , so my mom and I have been trying to get him to go, but he keeps telling us it s getting better, when its clearly getting worse. My mother is fearing the worst, saying what if its a Cancer of some sort. Please Reply as soon as possible. Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 13 Dec 2012