Lump in gum. Surgically removed. Pathology report. Explain mitotic index of 1/10 HPF

My 21 year old brother had a lump in his gum for about 2 years. Two weeks ago, when we visited the dentist, he said that the lump must be removed. Here are photos for the lump:
Last Sunday, my brother got the lump surgically removed and the excised tissue was sent to a laboratory for examination. We got this pathology report:
We talked to the pathologist, and he said they still need to do immunophenotyping. We asked him if he thinks it's cancer, and he said he doesn't think it is. I asked him about the mitotic index (1/10 HPF) and he said it is in normal range and doesn't indicate a cancerous activity; however, they have to do the immunophenotyping to be able to know more detailed information. He didn't explain exactly what the pathology report says. So please explain it to us in a simple way and let us know what a mitotic index of 1/10 HPF indicate and what the diagnosis says. My brother's surgical wound has cured, however, there's a slight inflammation on the back of his tooth (gum), which we don't know why as the surgery took place on the front of his tooth, so please try to explain this if possible.

My mother is extremely worried, she doesn't eat, and thinks my brother is not going to live and cries all day. Please help asap.
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013