Loss of appetite, diarrhea and vomiting during a travel. Rashes on the thigh, weight loss. Cause?

My son started having health problems during a visit to a beach resort on the Gulf of Mexico in July of 2011. The problems started two days after we arrived. He spent two days snorkeling in the ocean. He had a loss of appetite and later developed constant nausea and diarrhea . He also has a skin rash that covers both thighs. He spent the next several months vomiting from about 1 AM until about 6 AM. We have been to many doctors and he is still having problems. He went to our family doctor, ear doctors, and a stomach doctor. He had upper and lower GI scopes and stool test and blood work. He also had surgery on both ears. It has been over a year and a half and he is somewhat better. He still has no appetite and has bouts of vomiting. He still has the rash on his thighs. He is just now having firm bowel movements. He has lost almost 40 pounds during this time. He is 6 2 and weighs about 140. Any ideas?
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013