Liver tests done. High SGPT, SGOT levels. Causes for high levels?

Hi, I am a 26 year old male, the doctors after first liver function test could not pin point the source of liver ailment, but nevertheless my SGOT- 2309 units/l and SGPT- 4687 units/l are very high. Please suggest what may be the reasons for such high enzyme levels, and how long will it take to come down to normal reference range. Next set of tests are due next week
Asked On : Thu, 22 Nov 2012

Thank you for the query.

Such high liver tests can be caused by liver viral infection (HBV, HCV), blockage of liver ducts (GGTP and AP should be very high as well, urine should be dark and stool whitish), overdose of some liver involving medicines, large amount of alcohol intake, food poisoning (mushrooms for example) or even liver cancer. It is very hard to tell how long will it take to normalize this test not knowing the reason.
You should have abdominal ultrasound performed as well as vHBV and HCV antibodies tested, GGTP and AP tested.

Hope this will help.
Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Shailja Puri 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
SGOT and SGPT are liver enzymes.
Both these enzymes are present in the liver cells.
Any disease/ agent that damages the liver cells releases these enzymes in blood.
Detection of these enzymes in blood indicates liver damage.
The normal levels foe SGOT and SGPT are both

There are a number of causes of elevated lever enzymes namely:
1. Infections: Viral Hepatitis- Hepatitis A, B, C, D, E
2. Alcoholic liver disease
3. Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
4. Autoimmune liver disease
5. Metabolic liver diseases- Hemochromatosis, Wilson's disease, Alpha 1 antitrypsin defieciency
6. Drugs
7. Obesity, diabetes Mellitus

Viral hepatitis is a very common cause of raised liver enzymes.
It is accompanied by other clinical features like fever, decreased appetite, nausea, malise.
See if you have any of these symptoms. A PCR can be done to detect viral DNA/ RNA to confirm the infection.

Some other tests need to be done- Bilirubin (Total, direct & indirect), serum proteins, alkaline phosphatase, gamma glutamyl transferase.

These tests will further help to narrow down the possibilities
An ultrasound abdomen can be done.
You can post the result of all these investigation for views.
Consult your physician for further management.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal