Lens power & contact lens.

I am a 16 year old have recently found that my eye has a power of +0.5 so I was prescribed lens but I would like to know if I could use contact lens.
Asked On : Wed, 7 Oct 2009
Treatment/Therapy
DEAR SIR
I AM UTTAM NAMDEV MY NUMBER IS SPH -3.50 SYL -1.5 IN BOTH EYES I HAVE FACEING MANY PROBLEM NOW I WANT WEAR ANY GLASSES OR LENSES PLZ ADVICE ME HOW CAN I FEEL FREE WHAT COST FOR THIS
Ophthalmologist Dr. N. K. Misra's  Response
The power given is too small to be covered by contact lenses.Inetially glasses are to be tried and in case it appears in the long term you are benefiting by the glass substantially then one may think about contact lenses
Contact lenses aid in eye focusing in the same manner as spectacles do. Apart from these corrective measures, contact lenses can also be used for cosmetic and therapeutic reasons. They are curved pieces of plastic shaped in a way to conform directly to the wearer?s eye. Contact lenses are not in the danger of slipping off, getting wet, or fogging up, which can easily happen with spectacles. The lenses are made from different types of materials ? soft and rigid ? and come in a variety of designs and colors. It includes disposable, colored, astigmatic, aphakic, presbyopic and keratoconic lenses. The primary use of contact lenses is to correct myopia (short sightedness). They can also be used to rectify hyperopia, astigmatism, presbyopia and aphakia. Rigid lenses are used to correct irregular corneal trauma. Soft lenses are used as bandages for conditions like bullous keratopathy, recurring corneal erosion as well as to increase comfort, vision and postoperative wound healing. The Adverse Effects of Contact Lenses would be in people with overactive thyroid gland, severe diabetes or extreme arthritis in the hands, dry eyes related to pregnancy, contraceptives, diuretics, antihistamines and decongestants and eye disease prevents a person form using contact lenses. Difficulty in using contact lenses is also seen if you have eye irritations due to allergies or dust and chemicals. Conditions that could arise due to contact lens use include eye infections, allergic reactions to lens care solutions and deposit on lenses, redness of the eyes, scratched corneas, alteration in corneal shape and structure and abnormal blood vessels growing in the apparently clear cornea.