Left nipple turned in, smelly thick discharge from breasts, weakness, fever. Cause of concern?

I have had surgery due to staff & abstass from both breast . Most recent being one year ago. Now my left nipple is turned in and I have a smelly, thick discharge coming the sides of the nipple. Also there are big bumps all over the aureole, should I be concerned. Also, I feel very run down, I feel like I am running a slight temp by four every day
Asked On : Tue, 11 Sep 2012
Hi Fmjm.

Thank you for writing in your problem to Healthcare Magic!
You are probably having post abscess scarring and altered architecture of nipple which has resulted in retracted nipple.
The retracted nipple tends to retain secretions which gets infected soon.
You should get the gram stain and culture test of the nipple discharge.
You may need a drainage of pus if it has collected there and a course of broad spectrum antibiotics.
You also learn the manoeuvre to correct the retracted nipple from your surgeon.

You need to start the treatment after consulting your gynecologist.

I hope this information would be both informative and helpful for you