Late on period, early symptoms of pregnancy but negative pregnancy result

I m 17 years old and I think I may be pregnant . I am a little over a week late for my period(never happens) and I have most of the early symptoms of pregnancy but, I have taken several HPTs and some come back negative and some come back positive. I went to Birthright to have a free pregnancy test(urine) and it came back negative. So could I be pregnant? If I m not what are some possible reasons for my period being so late?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Feb 2011
  Anonymous's Response

Since you have taken several home pregnancy tests and the results are not sure till now, you must do the test after one week from the date of your missed period.
Negative results can occur if you do the test before that. Also it can occur if your urine is diluted (due to drinking big amount of water). Blood tests are much more accurate in measuring the level of b-hCG.
There is a possibility of being pregnant as there had been some positive results. There are many causes of a delayed period but the commonest one is pregnancy.

If you need more help, you can visit: