Large bruise on the back of hand, pain, raised area below the last knuckle of middle finger. Recommended ice and hard splint. BP elevated. Concern?

I had a large bruise appear on the back of my hand for no apparent reason. It is only painful in a small raised area approximately 1" below the last knuckle of middle finger. I had a hand xray which does not show anything.
The stange thing is that I had almost an identical bruise appear on my right hand approximatley 2 months before
on my left hand. Should I be concerned? Dr recommended ice and hand splint. The only other unusal thing is that my blood pressure which is usually a low normal has been elevated the last few month with a high of 175/96.
Asked On : Wed, 9 Oct 2013