Laceration in leg, swelling in ankle, uncomfortable to sleep. Hematoma or serious?

10 days ago I jumped a barbed wire fence and suffered a laceration in my lower leg, halfway between my knee and ankle. It was about 1 1/2 inches long, I got it stitched up and a tetanus shot. 4 hours later the swelling looked like a tennis ball was under the skin. Over the next few days the swelling moved down my leg followed by bruising and numbness that comes and goes. The swelling has moved around my ankle, from front to back, and makes it uncomfortable to sleep. It this something serious or just hematoma that I should keep elevated and hot packed?
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012