Knuckle pads evaluated, had lumps on knuckles. Go for surgery?

hello. I recently had a couple knuckle pads evaluated by an ortho surgeon. He said they could be surgically removed but could return. No other treatment options were recommended. He did not believe injections would be beneficial, though I had a small lump -perhaps not a knuckle pad- successfully injected many years ago while in PTA school (1995). I ve been a PTA for 17 years and of course use my hands (most of the pads are on right). He thought my career had nothing to do with these pads. i don t want to opt for surgery at this time but would like to know if there are other options worth exploring. thank you
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013
Thanks for writing in.

Neither medical nor surgical interventions for knuckle pads are very effective. Eliminating the source of mechanical or repetitive trauma may improve the lesions. Injections of corticosteroids or fluorouracil may reduce the size of the pads. Application of silicone gel sheeting has had limited success. Applications of keratolytics, such as salicylic acid or urea, have helped to soften and even reduce the lesions. Radiation therapy and application of solid carbon dioxide have been reported to be of some help in selected cases.

Please discuss above options with your doctor.

Hope this helps