Knees been squeaking in motion. Is this abnormal? What can I do?

I am a 25 yr old female, I work out about 3-4 times a week and run every other day. For the past few years, my knees have been squeaking. Lately the squeak has gotten louder especially while going up the stairs. On a scale of 1-10, pain is a 2. The sound is very irritating. Is this abnormal? Is it something to be worried about? What can I do to prevent this from getting worse? I love to work out and I don t want it to hold me back in the future because I didn t take care of it sooner.
Asked On : Sun, 22 Apr 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
There is no need to get worried about sound , it is present normally also. For running i want to offer few advice , first is that you should not run on incline surfaces or hard surface. Also you should take Dicerin tablet 100 mg daily for 2 months. You should need to see a physio and learn static quadriceps exercise from him. You will be fine soon.