Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Kidney failure due to poisoning.

Hello doctor, one of college mates consumed poison and is in acute renal failure since 3 days. What causes kidney to stop functioning suddenly? What are the treatment options?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Jan 2010
Answers:  2 Views:  1749
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
lot depends on the type poison consumed .dosage ingested and vomited.time to primary treatment incl stomach wash in c/o ingestion.......ifthe poison is the one which is excreted thru kidney it will cause direct damage and person frequently needs dialysis ie artificial kidney wash....if it is secondary due to decreased body fluids it responds well......kidney fail due to multi organ failure also carries dismal prognosis
Answered: Tue, 29 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
The most common causes of acute renal failure are dehydration, serious illnesses that cause heart or liver failure, severe blood loss, shock, or traumatic injury such as a burn. It may also occur in: those with conditions that block the flow of urine, such as kidney stones, tumors, or enlarged or inflamed prostate gland; those with a blood infection (sepsis); or those with kidney damage caused by kidney disease or exposure to a toxic (poisonous) substance like in our college mate?s case. Treatment for acute renal failure depends upon the cause. In your friend?s case the poison needs has to be removed from the body along with that he has to be monitored for intake and output of fluids so treatment and medications can be adjusted as necessary. In severe conditions, he will need dialysis, a procedure in which waste products are filtered from the blood for the kidneys. While dialysis is usually necessary for the short term, until the kidneys have regained full function, there is a possibility that the kidneys will suffer permanent damage. In these cases, he may need life-long dialysis, or a kidney transplant.
Answered: Thu, 28 Jan 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor