Itchy clustered bumps on palms, inner ankles, appear big on scratching. Pain relief?

Someone in my family is experiencing itchy bumps on their palms (localized to the muscle at the base of the thumb ) and her inner ankles (between the ankles and the heels, but not extending to the soles). Each bumps appears like a mosquito bite, but several ( 10) are clustered in each location. She finds them distractingly itchy, and as she scratches, it appears that the bumps become extended, and begin to melt into each other, forming conglomerated larger bumps. She says that she usually has this happen to her palms when she gets a bug bite elsewhere on her body, usually mosquito bites. It is winter and -15C outside, there are no mosquitos around; spider bites are extremely rare here, and we cannot find a bite anywhere. Is this possible an immune response to some other environmental irritant? What is the best way to help her relieve the itching, reduce the appearance of the bumps, and hopefully, to help her keep this from happening in the future?
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012