I just saw your post as I am travelling.
This is all you wanted to know about Epiphysiodesis:
- This surgery will be performed after confirmation with an Endocrinologist
about your bone age
and the years of pending growth.
- Epiphysiodesis is a surgery which only prevents further growth. It doesnt decrease your present height.
- It will be done by an Orthopaedician.
- If you don't have any more growth pending, i.e you have attained skeletal maturity, there's no point going for 'Epiphysiodesis', as there's no further growth.
- This surgery would be performed around the knees only as this is the most active growing part of our body.
- It can either be done by fixing small plates around your knees or by excising the growth plate around your knees. In total, there are 4 growth plates around your knee.
- Now, if you wanna get shorter than what you are, there's another surgery wherein the bone will be cut short and then fixed with plate and screws.
- I hope too much of info isn't messing you up.
- Please visit an Endocrinologist first and then we decide on what has to be done.
- Your queries are welcome, Dear.