Is there any cure other than animal meat for Thalassemias with vegetarian diet ?

My girlfriend is suffering from Thalassemias. Her doctor advised her to take animals meat for it because she was used to eat it since her childhood and her body is now habitual for it. Doctor says if she you eat meat she couldn t be well and cured again. Pls tell me if there is any cure of this sickness with only a pure vegetarian diet . I m really worried for it and aebecause of this our relationship is about to end. Please help us. I shall be thankful to you in my entire life
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013