Is pterygium of the eye harmful ?

my dad has got ptyrigium of eye ..this is the first time i have heard about this is it harmfull??is it treatable??
Asked On : Sun, 4 Oct 2009
welcome to health care magic
Pterygium is a degenerative condition of conjunctiva which may grow towards cornea and make hindrance to proper vision..
because of exposure to uv rays or in sun light or due to dust it may develop,more commonly in the elderly aged people like your dad..
regarding the treatment as long as it reaches the cornea no treatment is required except for cosmetic purposes..when it encroaches upon cornea you need surgical excision to prevent double vision,improper vision,halos etc..
in surgery,surgeon removes the excess part,,
Very rarely it may transform into malignant melanoma..

consult ophthalmologist for further suggestions..hope you get satisfied with my suggestion..
thank you
pterygium is just a growth of conjuctiva which can be corrected by surgical excision if it is very big and hampering you vision.
Ophthalmologist Dr. N. K. Misra's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic portal
pterygium as such has no medical treatment.It is to be surgically removed to prevent it from encroaching upon the pupillary area.As if it grows and comes to the front of eye its removal will a mark which will hamper the vision.Just keep a watch if it is away from pupillary area.visual improvement after it has reached or crossed pupil will only be achieved by corneal transplant.
  Anonymous's Response

Its very common in people, who work more in the dusty envirounment and sun exposure. It will not cause any serious problem to the eye. but cosmatical it look bad, eye become red often. for me my opthalmologist adviced just a regular use of sun glasses within 6 month it disappers, you can also try using sun glassess.

no it is not harmful at all. many people live with it. it is not a problem as such and you need not worry

Pterygium is a fleshy growth of the conjunctiva caused by exposure to ultraviolet rays.It can be corrected surgically.For more details visit